Sep 22, 2021  
Fall 2013 - Summer 2014 Graduate Catalog 
Fall 2013 - Summer 2014 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Aid

Click on any of the following links for information:


The Financial Aid Office of University of North Georgia (UNG) offers a comprehensive program of financial aid that recognizes the specific needs and talents of its students. The university’s Foundations, along with federal, state, and private agencies, provide funding for UNG’s financial aid programs.  These programs provide loans, grants, scholarships and employment.



A student may be eligible for financial aid under the following conditions:

  1. Student must be admitted to UNG as a regular, transfer, or transient student in a degree program. 
  2. Student must make Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree.
  3. Student must be enrolled in and attend courses offered through UNG. 
  4. Student must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen. 
  5. Student must register for the Selective Service, if required.
  6. Student must not be in default on any Federal Loan, nor owe a balance on any Federal or State Grant.

How to Apply for Aid


All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at least once.  The FAFSA is used to determine student eligibility for Federal Grants, Direct Student Loans, Work-Study, State Scholarships/Grants and UNG Foundation Scholarships.  The FAFSA must be completed each year to determine a student’s eligibility for federal aid. Apply online at, using UNG’s Federal School Code 001585.

Financial Need


Many types of aid require that a student’s financial need be calculated before financial aid can be awarded. Information from the FAFSA is used in a federal formula to determine an EXPECTED FAMILY CONTRIBUTION (EFC). Along with an estimated COST OF ATTENDANCE (tuition, fees, and allowances for books, supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses), a student’s financial need is determined as follows:


Once financial need is determined, the Financial Aid Office will prepare  an individual financial aid package for each student.

Audited Courses


Any hours for audited courses are not counted as part of the total number of hours used to determine Federal Aid eligibility.

Satisfactory Academic Progress


All types of financial aid require that a student make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward a degree. To be viewed as making SAP at UNG a graduate student must (a) have a minimum 3.0 grade point average, (b) successfully complete 70% of all coursework attempted at UNG, and (c) finish their educational program before attempting 125% of the number of hours required for the program.

Financial Aid Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress


The U.S. Department of Education mandates that institutions of higher education establish minimum standards of SAP for students receiving financial aid. UNG applies these standards to all applicants for federal financial aid, state financial aid and Foundation Scholarships. Students who fail to meet one or more of the criteria listed below are not making SAP and may lose financial aid eligibility. Determination of SAP will be made at the completion of each semester.


A. Grade Point Average Requirements – To be eligible for financial aid, a graduate student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.

B. Pace of Progression Requirements - Student financial aid recipients at UNG must show measurable progress toward earning a degree. This is achieved by successfully completing at least 70% of all courses attempted.

                 Cumulative Completed Hours
Completion Rate = ______________________________ *100%
                  Cumulative Attempted Hours

Semester hours completed will be those college level courses in which a grade of A, B, C, or D was received. Hours attempted will include all college level courses in which a grade of A, B, C, D, F, I, NR, W, or WF was received. Hours for repeated courses and hours for which a student has been granted Academic Renewal will be included in the completed hours and/or attempted hours totals. Hours for coursework receiving a grade of CR or K will not be included.

Transcripts from all previously attended institutions will be required to determine the number of hours UNG accepts as transfer hours. Grades reported as “In Progress” on a transcript will delay the processing of financial aid until the final transcript is received and reviewed.

C. Maximum Length of Study - Federal regulations require that schools measure a student’s pace of progression to ensure the completion of their program of study within the established maximum length of study. Eligible students may receive financial aid for up to 125% of course hours required for a degree. Transfer credits accepted by UNG will be counted as part of the maximum length of study.

Hours for coursework receiving a grade of CR or K will not be included. Also, a student who completes the academic requirements for a program, but has not yet applied for graduation is no longer eligible for financial aid.

Once a student exceeds the maximum length of study, they will no longer be considered making SAP toward their program of study and will not be eligible for financial aid. If a review of a student’s attempted hours at any point makes it clear that they cannot finish their program within the maximum time frame, they become ineligible for financial aid at that point. Students, in either case, have the right to request an extension by submitting a SAP Appeal Form to the UNG Financial Aid Office.

Students with prior degrees are given a limited amount of additional time to pursue new educational goals. A total of two degrees at the same level will be allowed.

The Maximum Length of Study for a Graduate Degree is 125% of the required hours for the degree.

*The Maximum Length of Study does not extend beyond the completion of coursework for a degree.

Monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress

Determination of a student’s SAP will be made at the completion of each semester. Students who do not meet the SAP Standards will lose financial aid eligibility, but have the opportunity to appeal the loss. 

Making an Appeal for an initial loss of Financial Aid

A student who fails to meet SAP Standards has the right to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form to the UNG Financial Aid Office. The UNG SAP Appeal # 1 can be downloaded from the Financial Aid website,

Making a Financial Aid Appeal based on Extenuating Circumstances

A student who fails to meet SAP Standards has the right to submit an appeal form based on extenuating circumstances, such as student illness, death in the family, a family crisis, etc. The UNG SAP Appeal # 2 – Extenuating Circumstances can be downloaded from the Financial Aid website,

Review by the SAP Appeal Committee

The SAP Appeal Committee will review and evaluate the student’s appeal and make a decision in one of two ways:

1.      The student could be placed on an Academic Plan that will be designed to ensure that the student will be able to meet SAP Standards by a specific point in time. Failure of the student to meet requirements of their Academic Plan will result in the student being denied financial aid for future terms, unless they are once again meeting SAP Standards.

2.      The student could be denied further financial aid until they are meeting SAP Standards.

Following a review by the SAP Appeal Committee, students will be notified of a decision via their university email account and their permanent mailing address.  The decision of the SAP Appeal Committee is final.

Regaining Financial Aid Eligibility – Once eligibility for financial aid has been denied by the SAP Appeal Committee, a student can only regain financial aid eligibility by meeting the SAP Standards. A previously denied student who meets minimum grade point average and pace of progression requirements, but has exceeded the maximum length of study, cannot regain eligibility.

When an Aid Recipient Withdraws from College


Federal regulations require recipients of the Federal Grants and Direct Student Loans to repay a portion of the Federal funds they received if they initiate a withdrawal from college before 60% of the semester has elapsed.

To initiate withdrawal, the student must contact the Registrar’s Office. The repayment amount is determined using a Federal formula and depends on the amount of Federal funds the student received as well as the percentage of the semester the student completed prior to withdrawal. (Students who discontinue attendance without officially withdrawing will have their repayment amount determined based on the last day of attendance or at the midpoint of the semester, if the dates of attendance cannot be determined.)

A student will have 45 days from the date of withdrawal to repay the amount owed. Failure to repay by the 45 day deadline will result in the debt being turned over to a collection agency and the student being ineligible for any future Federal, State, or Institutional student aid.

Federal Grants


The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (FTEACH) is designed for students who intend to teach full time in a high-need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.  Students who receive the TEACH Grant must fulfill a service obligation, have at least a 3.0 grade point average.

State Scholarships and Grants


There are currently no state programs available for graduate students.

Foundation Scholarships


UNG FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS assist the gifted student (actor, artist, debater, musician, scholar, student leader, or writer), the needy student, and those who meet specific scholarship criteria.  Consult UNG’s Financial Aid website for details on how and when to apply for these scholarships.



The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available for graduate students to help pay for the costs of education.  The lender is the U.S. Department of Education and it is the responsibility of the borrower to pay off the loan.  Eligibility for this loan program will be determined upon completion of the FAFSA and enrollment in at least five semester hours of graduate coursework per term.  The student is responsible for paying the interest on the loan from the date that the loan is made, with the option of paying the interest while enrolled or letting the interest accrue.  Graduate students are eligible for up to $20,500 per year.

When a completed file is reviewed, the loan offer will automatically be placed on a student’s financial aid package. The loan amount can be deleted or reduced using the Financial Aid Award Tab on the student’s Banner Web account.  Any requests for other adjustments to the Direct Loans must be made by the student through their Banner Web account, using the Comment Box on their Financial Aid Award page. Note that all loan amounts are automatically split between two semesters. 

When a Direct Loan is accepted, the student is required to complete an online Loan Entrance Counseling session before funds may be disbursed.  It is important that each student knows and understands their rights and responsibilities as a student borrower.  In addition, the student must complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN).  In most cases, the student will sign only one promissory note which will be used for all direct loans at UNG.  Both the counseling session and the MPN are accessible at

The Federal Direct Graduate (PLUS) Loans enables graduate students with good credit histories to borrow money from the U.S. Department of Education.  Graduate PLUS Loans are designated to help pay the expenses for a student enrolled in at least five semester hours of graduate coursework.  The yearly limit on a PLUS loan is equal to the student’s cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received.  Borrowers must complete Loan Entrance Counseling and an electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) at

The Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan for students with exceptional financial need.  UNG - Dahlonega is the lender.  The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by UNG.  Payments are made through the university. 

Students must have completed the FAFSA for any loan eligibility to be determined. For more information on loans, consult our website,



The FEDERAL WORK-STUDY PROGRAM funds part-time employment in various on- and off-campus work settings for students showing financial need. Students will be notified if they are eligible for the Federal Work-Study Program.

The INSTITUTIONAL WORK-AID PROGRAM, funded by the university, provides on-campus jobs for students who may or may not show financial need. The availability of jobs is dependent on the needs and resources of the institution.

A listing of Federal Work-Study, Institutional Work-Aid, and OFF-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES can be found on the Job Board on the UNG Counseling & Career Services web page at

Other Programs


THE TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (TAP) is available to full-time benefits-eligible employees of the University System of Georgia who have successfully completed at least six months of employment in a benefits-eligible position, as of the date of the TAP application deadline for the desired academic semester. For further information, contact Human Resources.

VETERANS ADMINISTRATION EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS are available to students who are eligible reservists, veterans, or dependents (spouses and children) of veterans who were killed, disabled or listed as missing as a result of service in the U.S. Armed Forces. Unless otherwise specified as a condition of a scholarship, the application of scholarships is not restricted to tuition and fee payment only, and funds may be used for supplementary educational expenses.  However, scholarships may restrict application to tuition and fees only.  VA certification of enrollment begins the first day of the semester and ends the last day of scheduled exams for the semester.  For further information, students should consult the UNG Financial Aid website at or contact the Veterans Administration (1-888-442-4551).

VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION AND EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE is available to certain individuals with physical or mental limitations. To apply, students should contact their local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, a division of the Georgia Department of Human Resources.