Dec 01, 2023
To be eligible to receive the initial four-year teaching certificate in Georgia, a student must complete a bachelor’s program designed to meet the needs of teachers in a specific teaching field and be recommended by the institution whose program has been completed. The Early Childhood Education Program develops expertise for teaching students from pre-k through the fifth grade and earn the reading endorsement and ESOL endorsement. Candidates in the B.S. in Early Childhood Education program are caring and reflective decision makers who are committed to maximizing all students’ development as contributing citizens in a diverse and democratic society. They balance professional dispositions and content knowledge with pedagogical skills as they collaboratively interact with students, families, and the community.
- Complete all GSC general institutional admissions requirements.
- Declare major in Early Childhood Education (P-5).
- Earn Associates Degree or 42 semester hours of College credit with a minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Complete Areas A-F coursework (earning minimum of “C” in AREA A courses).
- Exempt GACE (SAT, ACT, or GRE) or submit passing scores.
- Agree to criminal background check.
- Agree to random drug test.
- Sign liability insurance form.
- Submit letter of intent, write a disposition essay, submit three letters of recommendation.
- Complete the application form and pay the application fees.
Core Curriculum Area F (18 hours)
Required if not in Area D or F
Major Course Requirements - 48 Hours
Related Course Requirements - 12 Hours
Program Completion Requirements
- Successful completion of all courses required in the degree program (minimum 120 semester credits plus PE), including the lower division Associate Degree requirements.
- Successful completion of minimum 42 general education credits according to distribution established by GSC (Areas A-E) for Associate degree program.
- Successful completion of at least 60 credits of upper division coursework in the major (3000 and 4000 level) with grades of “C” or higher. 30 semester hours must be in residency at GSC.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) as required for program admission. Students whose cumulative GPA drops below 2.75 or who receive “D’s” in major courses will be placed on teacher education probation the next semester. If the problem is not corrected with the next semester of enrollment, the student’s admission to Teacher Education will be revoked.
- Successful completion of all field and clinical experiences.
- Successful completion of the US and Georgia legislative requirements.
- Complete the GACE Content test for Early Childhood Education.
- Meet the Georgia Professional Standards Commission technology requirement.
- Maintain a professional disposition and adhere to the PSC Code of Ethics.
- Meet all other college graduation policies.
- PSYC 1101 in AREA E.
- STAT 2400 or STAT 2400H in AREA D.
- Choose one of the following as an AREA B elective: COMM 1502, CSCI 1502, DVRS 1502, SVLN 1501 or 1502, MFLA 1502 or any 1002 Foreign Language course.
- HIST 2111 or HIST 2111H or HIST 2112 or HIST 2112H and GEOG 1101 in AREA E.
- EDUC 2110 - Grade of “C” or higher in ENGL 1101 and 1102, minimum 2.5 GPA and sophomore standing.
- EDUC 2120 - Grade of “C” or higher in EDUC 2110.
- EDUC 2130 - Grade of “C” or higher in PSYC 1101.
- ISCI 2001 and 2002 - Completion of AREA A Math course.